This is the final blog in a series of three consecutive posts on why the Band Together Community exists and what we offer to support the mental health community. We have chosen to focus on three main elements – Share Your Story, Wear Your Story and Get Connected. Two weeks ago we discussed the physical and psychological benefits of sharing your story in The Healing Dilemma. Last week we talked about the concept of externalization as well as how by wearing our story in the form of a ‘band’ we hope to further break down stigma and encourage solidarity. This week we will talk about how getting connected in a safe and supportive community is essential to mental health. We will also discuss some of the tangible ways we have set up for you to get connected to our community.
In his insightful book ‘The Power of The Other’ Dr. Henry Cloud says “research has shown that if you are in a community that is getting healthy or overcoming something difficult, your chances of success go way up. “ He suggests this is the reason why such support groups as Weight Watchers and Alcoholics Anonymous are so successful.
“They surround you with people who all are heading in a healthy direction, and that positive energy is contagious” says Cloud.
We believe an authentic experience of community and connection can bring a glimpse of hope and expectancy for the future.
Here are just a few of the ways you can get connected with us…
- Sign up to ‘Join The Band’ – This can be found in the footer of every page on our website. Every morning we send you an encouragement email to your inbox. It is a daily reminder that you are not alone and is a great way to start your day!
- Share your story or read the stories of others – Our anonymous sharing page is a great way to feel connected through empathetic and impactful shared experiences. Leave a reaction of ‘I can relate,’ ‘Hugs’ or ‘I’m Standing With You’ to show your support and solidarity. Use the key word search tool to find stories that contain content you can relate to.
- Blog content updated weekly (every Monday) – Currently we have blog contributors including a registered dietician and clinical counsellors to help provide valuable insights, expertise and education to help you on your journey.
- Community Forums – We have created community forums for people struggling with specific mental health issues to have open dialogue meant to encourage, uplift and educate. The forums are organized by specific mental health issues/disorders so you can find the area in which you relate. Beyond the ‘General Discussion’ topic, our forums offer something very unique! We have partnered with Geordy Murphy who is a Licensed Counsellor to provide additional value for our community. Each one of our forum topics has an ‘Ask a Counsellor’ area designed for you to ask general questions and get answers from Geordy. You can read the forums without an account, or create one to join the conversation!
- Connect through following us on Instagram and Facebook – All of our content is created to be shareable as we want this safe and supportive community to grow. Be sure to tag us in any shares and use the hashtag #WeBandTogether.
We sincerely hope you find a safe and supportive mental health community here! As Brene Brown so accurately said,